Why You Need a Hospital Plan in 2017
Great news! Even if you cannot afford full medical aid cover, there are great hospital plans available from the leading medical schemes in South Africa. Here are the top 10 reasons that come to mind why you need a hospital plan:
- Government hospitals are dirty and mismanaged so you don’t want to land in one.
- A hospital plan from a registered medical scheme gives you instant access to private hospitals if you choose the right plan.
- Hospital plans are cheaper than full medical aid, even from a top-class medical aid.
- You can include dependents and if you pick carefully there is a ceiling on how many children you pay for so some of your kids might get free cover.
- By law, hospital plans from registered medical schemes must cover Prescribed Minimum Benefits (PMBs) to a certain extent depending on the hospital plan you choose.
- Hospital plans from medical schemes qualify for medical shortfall cover, previously known as gap cover, meaning you won’t have to pay out of pocket expenses for hospital, specialists and some procedures and medications.
- Students can stay as dependent members on hospital plans from medical schemes until the age of 25 in some cases. (Check out the Fedhealth option).
- You can upgrade with your medical aid for full cover at any time and reap the benefits of having signed up early.
- By law, a medical aid must accept you as a member no matter if you have pre-existing conditions or what your age is. There might be waiting periods and the costs might be higher, but at least you can get cover.
- Peace of mind is priceless.
Why You Need a Hospital Plan from One of These Medical Aids
Getting a hospital plan from a registered medical is always a good idea as you are obliged to get PMB cover, you can upgrade and you qualify for medical shortfall cover (see above).
Choose one of these for your cheap hospital plan:
So that’s why you need a hospital plan in 2017. Happy New Year!